HumanWare Communicator is a multilingual face-to-face conversation app for deaf-blind people. The app helps deaf-blind individuals communicate on an everyday basis by connecting a HumanWare Braille device (BrailleNote Apex or Brailliant) with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Establishes a text conversation, through a chat window, between a deaf-blind person and a sighted person.
- All interaction appears both on the deaf-blind person's refreshable Braille display, as well as visually on the screen of the iOS device.
- Using a Bluetooth connection, pair a HumanWare Brailliant braille display or a BrailleNote apex with any of Apple's iOS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad), With Apple's screen reader (VoiceOver) enabled.
- Once connected the braille device will be able to control the iOS tool, along with showing all text in Braille on the Braille display.
- When the HumanWare Communicator app is launched, and a new conversation is started, the sighted participant will be presented with a visual introduction message on the screen of the iOS device.
- This introduction message is customizable and once the sighted user taps the OK button, the conversation will begin.
- The deaf-blind user types their messages on the Braille input keyboard, and the sighted participant uses the touch screen keyboard for their portion of the conversation.
- For longer conversations, a traditional Bluetooth keyboard can also be paired with the iOS device to facilitate faster text input from the sighted participant.
- Customize conversation greeting message.
- Create commonly used phrases, which can be used during a conversation with shortcut symbols.
- Save important messages in the archives to review at a later date.