InnerVoice is a communication tool for people on the autism spectrum that teaches speech, language, and social communication skills to people with a variety of abilities.
- Features Microsoft Azure artificial intelligence (AI) technology.
- Can work like a typical communication device: letting the user's thoughts and feelings be heard and understood by others.
- Combines AI technology with facial expressions, emotions, tone-of-voice, written words, and videos.
- Visual Language uses Azure AI technology to teach language and literacy skills.
- The camera displays what the user is looking at. When the user takes a picture the AI system labels the picture with text and describes it with speech.
- Users can create and edit buttons by taking a picture and the AI system labels the button and adds a description.
- Users can choose an avatar from the library, use a photo of a face, or a favorite character, and it becomes available in the app.
- Avatars move, emote, and speak.
- Watching a face that the learner connects to is designed to help increase imitation and engagement.
- Text-to-speech in both English and Spanish.
- Tap the mouth or the speech bubble and hear the avatar say words aloud.
- The avatar will deliver any message to friends, family or social media.
- Add actions to any button to represent verbs, emotions, and concepts by using GIFs by Giphy, as well as Loop, Bounce, and slow-motion videos from Apple.
- Create video-modeled narratives that help learners understand important situations such as crossing the street, getting in a car, encountering first responders, or other emergencies.
- Make facial expressions on the avatar's face to express happiness, sadness, or anger.
- Make messages more personal by using symbols with a universally understood meaning emoji.
- Create new buttons using AI and edit layouts using photos, videos, or GIFs.
- Use language translation or handwriting recognition keyboards to include other channels of communication.
- Teaches communication using Multi-Sensory Semiotics: which pairs sensory stimuli with auditory symbols (words), visual symbols (text), or gestural symbols (sign language).
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later.
- Languages: text-to-speech in both English and Spanish with over 55 new language and dialectical choices from Apple's high-quality library. (Users will need iOS 13 or higher to access the Apple voices, though).