Speak for Yourself
Speak for Yourself is an alternative and augmentative communication (AAC) app that turns the iPad into a communication device. It gives a voice to adults and children with autism, cerebral palsy, apraxia, and genetic syndromes who are not able to speak or are limited in their ability to express themselves verbally.
- Vocabulary is based on research of the most commonly used words across age, languages, settings, and situations.
- One hundred and nineteen core vocabulary words constitute the app's main screen.
- Each of these buttons links to additional related core vocabulary words and personalized, programmable vocabulary.
- Open and close feature allows users to begin with only one word and add to their vocabulary at their own pace.
- Babble feature allows users to explore vocabulary by opening every word in the application by touching one button.
- Lock edit feature disables the editing functions in the application.
- Users can change the symbols for the protected core vocabulary words.
- Contains almost 11,000 Smarty Symbols and allows the user the potential to access almost 14,000 words, with no more than two touches to say a word.
- Users can choose to include voice options from Acapela Text-To-Speech from Acapela Group through in-app purchasing.
- Can be used in preschool classrooms to promote word-finding, visual language support, and verbal speech development.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.