Speech Trainer 3D
Speech Trainer 3D is a speech training and language tutorial app designed specifically to help individuals with speech-sound disorders and English language learners. It provides an animated video model for both consonants and vowel sounds.
- With both a side and front view, it provides 32 English language sounds: 23 consonants and 8 vowels.
- Designed for individuals struggling with sound production and for use by speech-language pathologists, special educators, and parents.
- Created to be used as a therapy tool to assist individuals to correctly produce target sounds.
- It incorporates both an animated video of the speech sound as well as a systematic breakdown for describing the movements necessary for each sound.
- Both video modeling and video prompting are useful for many individuals when learning new skills.
- It uses the camera function built into the iPad to allow the learner to see a side-by-side picture of the model and his or her own face making the sound.
- Incorporating the built-in camera allows the professional to utilize both a visual and a tactile prompt for the client, which may, in turn, encourage longer productions and improve the muscle coordination needed for speech.
- Can be used individually or in a group practice.
- Once the app is loaded, the user can choose whether to work on consonants or vowels.
- When a phoneme type has been selected, the app will open with a phoneme bar along the top of the page and the side-view of a model of the speech mechanism.
- For consonants, the user can slide the selection bar sideways to access all of the consonant sounds.
- The app opens in a default side-view; however, a frontal view is available. In this view, the speech-mechanism model is replaced with a person modeling the sounds.
- The app provides an audio example of 2-4 words for each sound.
- The iPad camera is activated when the iPad is rotated to the landscape position. At that time, the user will see their image in the camera beside the avatar.
- The user will then be able to use video modeling to make accurate production of sounds.
- The app allows the user to specify which sound in the English language to target.
- Adding a self-monitoring component is encouraged by simply rotating the iPad and engaging the iPad’s built-in camera.
- Full color medical model of the speech mechanism.
- Uses the International Phonetics Alphabet.
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.