AbleData: Important Notice!!
Due to a realignment of National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR) priorities, AbleData was discontinued on September 27th, 2020. However, AbleData, which was started by Marian Hall in the 1980s as cards in a card file box used to answer questions over the phone before it graduated to a computer database, a database on CDs (before the internet) and finally the Internet - will always be remembered as a pioneering effort in bringing practical information on assistive technologies to everyone. Thank you to Marian and all who work on AbleData over the years.
Note: All of the AbleData entries that relate to computers, information, and communication assistive technologies can be found in this Unified Listing database (along with mainstream products that have accessibility features built into them).
Other sites that provide information similar to AbleData for different types of assistive technology are:
- assistivetech.net (over 22,000 varied products),
- ATIA Membership Directory (Assistive Technology (AT) vendors)
- ATvisor (AT products and solutions)
- EASTIN (global AT database)
- Searchable Online Accommodation Resource (SOAR) (Workplace AT)
- The Toolbox (Agricultural AT)
- The Unified Listing (computer and communication AT)