Ekiga is a free Voice over Internet Protocol (or VoIP) IP telephony and video conferencing application for Linux, Unix-like (e.g. BSD or OpenSolaris), and Windows operating systems.
- Ease of use with a modern Graphical User Interface.
- Audio and Video free calls through the internet.
- Free Instant Messaging through the internet with Presence support.
- Audio (and video) calls to landlines and cell phones with support to the cheapest service providers.
- High Definition Sound (wideband) and Video Quality up to DVD quality (high framerate, state of the art quality codec and frame size).
- Free of choice of the service provider.
- SMS to cell phones if the service provider supports it (like the default provider).
- Standard Telephony features support like Call Hold, Call Transfer, Call Forwarding, DTMF.
- Remote and Local Address Book support: Remote Address Book support with authentification using the standard LDAP technology, Local Address support in Gnome (Evolution).
- Multi-platform: Windows and GNU/Linux.
- Wide interoperability: Ekiga uses the main deployed standards for telephony protocols (SIP and H.323) and has been tested with a wide range of softphones, phones, PBX and service providers.