BlindSquare is an accessible GPS-app developed for the blind and visually impaired. Paired with third-party navigation apps, BlindSquare’s self-voicing app delivers detailed points of interest and intersections for safe, reliable travel both outside and inside.
- Shake the device to hear the current address and details about the nearest intersection and venues around.
- BlindSquare uses Acapela voices in many different languages to announce information about the environment even when a device is tucked away for a hands-free experience.
- Has some unique algorithms to decide what information is the most relevant and then speaks it with high quality speech synthesis.
- Limit what is reported on the map nearby by changing the radius, thus limiting the area of interest and by using filters.
- Search by search term or by category.
Perform the following tasks on search results:
- Get contact info (address, phone number).
- Open twitter feed or restaurant menu (if provided).
- Make a phone call.
- Start tracking the place (BlindSquare will assist by repeating the distance and the clock face direction).
- Start a navigator for turn-by-turn instructions (TomTom, Navigon or Apple Maps).
If users like to play Foursquare, they can do the following with BlindSquare:
- Get a list of nearby FourSquare venues.
- When they are in a place, they can check-in by shaking their device.
- Do a check-in with commenting and twitter/Facebook sharing.
- Correct the location of the place.
- Location: This app may use a location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- This app retrieves data in real-time from Foursquare and Open Street Map. The use of a flat rate data plan is highly recommended.
- VoiceOver usage is supported but it also includes higher quality additional speech synthesis by Acapela Text-To-Speech from Acapela Group.
- To use BlindSquare, an iCloud account has to be active so BlindSquare can access it to save the settings and places.
- Size: 140.3 MB.
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating 4+.
Options & Accessories:
- BlindSquare can also be controlled through voice commands. The Voice Command feature is a premium service requiring the purchase of credits for continuous use. Voice Command Credits are available as an in-app purchase on the App Store.
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.
See product in Apple's App Store.