LiveDescribe is a free stand-alone application that allows amateur audio describers to create and edit audio descriptions for blind audiences.
- Audio description is a second audio track that provides a voiced description of the important visual information in a piece of television, film or theater content.
- The description is inserted in between the dialogue elements.
- The program displays graphical information that allows the user to see the positions in the video where descriptions can be inserted without interrupting the videos original audio track.
- The descriptions created by these amateurs can be uploaded to the LiveDescribe website and shared with the rest of the community interested in audio description.
- The site stores only the audio description; users must have their copy of the video.
- Descriptions on the site may be searched by video type (movie, music video, television show, or Web video), by genre (action, animation, comedy, crime, documentary, drama, horror, musicals, science fiction, western, or not applicable), or alphabetically.
- The authoring tool and player are both available for free download.