SofType On-Screen Keyboard
SofType is a software utility which replaces the functionality of a desktop keyboard with a full-featured on-screen keyboard. It works by generating an image of a keyboard on the computer screen. When a key is selected (clicked), the character represented by that key is sent to the Windows application with focus.
- Can be accessed using a mouse or mouse emulator such as the HeadMouse Extreme.
- Works by generating an image of a keyboard on the computer screen.
- Can be used at Windows startup to log into a user account, when a User Account Control (UAC) dialog box opens for Windows security, and to access Ctrl+Alt+Del secure screens.
- Slide-out Launcher can start or restart the SofType keyboard using dwell.
- Built-in dwell clicking feature called AutoClick for automatically generating mouse button clicks. When AutoClick is enabled, mouse button clicks are performed by holding the pointer motionless for a programmable length of time – the AutoClick Delay or dwell time.
- The specific mouse button action taken is controlled using the Dragger toolbar.
- Dragger is a toolbar integrated into SofType which allows AutoClick users and single-switch users to perform all the common clicking functions of a two-button mouse.
- The Jitter Box feature is used to compensate for a user's inability to hold the mouse pointer motionless for the dwell time.
- Jitter Box is an adjustable and imaginary box at the tip of the mouse pointer that defines the area the pointer must stay within to trigger an AutoClick.
- Keyboard can be dragged anywhere on the screen just like any other window, but with Dragger's Move Top/Bottom button, only one click is required to move the keyboard from any location to the closest top or bottom screen edge.
- If SofType is already on a screen edge it will move to the opposite edge with a single click of Dragger's Top/Bottom button.
- Word Prediction eliminates keystrokes when words are selected from the word list.
- Create a keyboard layout by using a text editor to edit an existing layout. All aspects of a keyboard layout can be modified.
- Parameters associated with keys including key size, font size, styles, and colors are changed through menu selections, and by dragging the keyboard window edge.
- Background colors can also be modified using a simple dialog box.
- Macro capability and abbreviation expansion allow users to eliminate keystrokes when entering frequently used phrases, commands, and other text entries.
- SofType 5 is for use with Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Options & Accessories:
- Variety of keyboard layouts ranging from a very basic keyboard such as an alphabetic layout to a more comprehensive keyboard such as the Qwerty layout.
- SofType displays keyboard layouts in languages supported by Windows (a separate word list is maintained for each language).